Chris Tyrell and Jim Searle started Hoax Couture in 1985 without formal fashion training
Chris was trained as a lawyer and Jim as an architect.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you custom make a dress from a picture?
Yes - -bring us a photo of your dream dress and we can give you a quotation to make it.
2. What does a custom dress cost?
It depends on a lot of things, but short dresses start at $500.00 and long gowns start at $750.00. Most custom dresses range between $650.00 and $1200.00. We have over 300 patterns on file so we can often do a style like your idea for a reasonable price.
3. Do I need to buy the fabric? How do I know what to buy?
We normally supply the fabric from our selection of hundreds of colours and weaves, but we can also make the dress using your own fabric. Talk to us before buying to make sure you get the right fabric and the right amount
4. How long does it take?
Most dresses take about a month, but a very complicated style can take two or three months. We have done dresses in two days, but that will cost more.
5. How do I know it will work?
We have 25 years of experience doing this, and we can give you many references to check.
6. What if someone finds out where I got my dress, and we turn up in the same one?
We can’t think of anything worse!! we know what parties our dresses are going to so we make sure that this doesnt occur. We have a registry to keep this from happening.
7. I’m not quite sure what will look good, Are there some styles that will look better on me than others?
We have 25 years experience and can guide you in your choice.